Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chaos theory

The band piece. It's called Chaos. If I remember correctly, it is about 16-20 minutes long. Of course there would be some re-scoring to do, but I listened to the midi of the outer sections, and I think it has a lot of what I wanted to do with the piano concerto in it.

It has a free section in the middle, it has a tarantella section/movement at the end. It won't have the Parsifal quotation, but I can live without that. I think I would also still like to use the improvisation section from my concerto sketches, however, I would have to use the Chaos pitch sets, although I can use the same progression, since my set construction is similar.

I know this seems like a cop-out, but I was getting nowhere with what I was doing before.

What I worry about most is the difficulty of the orchestral part. I may have to water it down, and I'll certainly have to rebar sections.

So what is left to do on it?

1. Rescore for orchestra, expanding the piano part.
2. Incorporate the improvisation section into the middle section.
3. Write the ending.
4. Decide whether I want to add an introductory section. It starts with a bang right now. Based on the opening of Paradise Lost, it probably should, but I might want to expand the opening section in that case.

No comments:

Post a Comment