Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Theory 101.1

OK, I lied. Today I devised the tonal relationships of the sets from the inversion of the row.

Surprisingly, or unsurprisingly rather, the set relationships turned out to be the same. I've never used the tonality of the inverted row before, so I expected the relationships to be inverted as well. I'm not sure I'll use the pivot tones with the inverted set, since they just extend the chromatic.

This is the primary material for the second movement, so I'm ready to begin sketching harmonic progressions for it. Once I have those, I'll start devising the textures. Remember, the movement will comprise a series of aleatoric textures over which one or more instruments will solo, and the piano will improvise over the top using a progression that may or may not match that of the instruments below.

OK, next time, I WILL post an excerpt from the one of the source stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment