Thursday, February 10, 2011

Diversions

Yesterday, I decided to create a row matrix. Unsatisfied with the idea of devising it manually, I decided to create a spreadsheet that would automate the process. That probably took twice as long as it might have otherwise, but at least now I can make matrices just by plugging in O0.

Interestingly, my row is in E, but I'm planning my pitches to centre around D. In fact, I will probably emphasize the middle of the row, rather than transposing it to D. At present the first 6 pitches are 5 4 6 7 8 9 from the series (rather than starting at the beginning of the row). It leaps from my nominal Tonic set to my Dominant set after 3 notes. (I'll explain my harmonic system in due course.)

Next up is devolving the row into pitch sets, and classifying their transposition.

Tonic (I): C D Eb E F# G
Dominant (V) Db F Ab A Bb B

I'm a little concerned about the number of semitones in the two sets, so I may consider shifting the row to start on the F#:

I: D F F# G A Bb
V: C Db Eb E Ab B

That might give me the more expansive sound that I'm after. I could use both, of course. I'll probably decide today.


On another note, I received the proof copy of my violin concerto on Monday. I made one change to the cover, so I have to approve it once more, but it should go on sale next week on Amazon.com (and eventually other outlets). ($30, but I'll offer discounts to retailers and others, if you are nice to me.)


I'll post a link next week. I'm also going to make my saxophone concerto available soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment