Sunday, November 26, 2017

Starting over

Well, it's another holiday season, and I'm back to square one.

I've come to the conclusion that the recording project is a non-starter. The contribution they want from me is eye-watering. If I'm going to spend that much, I want top billing and more control over the performing forces. FWIW, they wanted to record Inner Sanctum, which would have been nice. I haven't shut the door yet, but that kind of contribution is more for a twenty-something still trying to make their way and become known. For me, the optics of funding my own recording (one of several works on a compilation) don't work. I will never earn back the money invested. I would have to sell upwards of 2000 copies. That won't happen unless it wins a big award. (Possibly even if it does.)

On the other hand, the SNM will record Labyrinth in February on a bigger label, and without a financial investment on my part. It may take five years before it is released, but that is out of my hands.

That said, I'm still in touch with the other company and may consider a disc of only my music. That would be a considerable investment, however, they say that an orchestral recording might be a better value for me, since they would do it overseas. It could be two symphonies, or a symphony and a concerto. It would, however, allow me some time to raise the money, whereas they would want the initial payment for the other recording before I had a chance to begin raising the rest of the money. I wouldn't want to get locked into paying for something I can't afford.

As far as composing is concerned, I've given up on the bass trombone concerto. I may still finish it, but I don't like the proposed length (6-8 min), and I think I would rather write it for tenor trombone, ideally with orchestra, unless someone wants to pay a commission for it. I've got a good two minutes for bass trombone and trombone octet, but it really projects to a larger work.

I was also going to submit my Symphony No 3 for something, but I've decided that the intended orchestra probably wasn't up to it.

I'm also still considering a wind ensemble piece, but I'm not feeling very inspired about it. I've had a few spring performances of other things fall through, and I just wonder if I should write some chamber music instead, possible more of Temps.

A commission would focus the mind. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment