Monday, October 23, 2017

Kick-start revisited

I have been applying for a number of calls for scores, and one responded to me last week. I still haven't spoken to the project coordinator, but they want to record one or two of my pieces. The only catch is that I will have to contribute towards costs. They appear very interested, since their deadline isn't until November, but they were impressed enough that they contacted me right away (within two days of applying).

Saying that, they may treat all projects that way, putting out a call for scores and then telling everyone they like their work, until someone bites and plunks down the cash. I've looked for horror stories about them on the internet, but haven't found any, so they appear legit. They have over 300 records out, apparently, and record under 3 labels, all of which are distributed by Naxos.

I'm sure the cost will be huge, even if I am sharing it with other composers on the disc. What I don't know is if I'll be sharing it with the feature performers who were the originators of the call.

In any case, I'll need to apply for some grants, and then initiate a kick-starter (or equivalent) campaign, once I have an idea of the costs. Anyone have a preference? Kickstarter, GoFundMe, others? I've found a number of grant options. I just need to get some figures first.

No comments:

Post a Comment