Monday, June 15, 2015

Long past due for an update

Chaos is nearly finished. I had a couple of urgent typesetting jobs that meant putting off the final work on the concerto. Over the past couple of days, I've filled the partial gaps. (There were no real gaps, just three places where not all of the material was present.) Today, I've bridged the last one, although I'll put the last few notes in when I key the last section into Sibelius. I've made annotations what to do there.

I have a few small amendments to put in earlier in the piece - in what you might call the second movement, and then I need to sculpt the dynamics.

In any case, I'm now to the 99% mark on the first draft. Sibelius says it is only 15 minutes long, but I think it's actually more like 20, since it said Chaos Theory (the middle section of Chaos, plus a new beginning) was 8 minutes, and it was almost 11.

Once I finish tinkering, I'll send it out to my pianist friends (and acquaintances), including the pianist for whom I was originally writing, in case she is still interested. I'll also send it out to the conductor who commissioned it, with the understanding that the orchestra who withdrew the commission will never play it.

I must also confess, this isn't an ordinary concerto. It's more like a piece for piano and orchestra, where the two are relatively equal. There is too much in the piano part to call it an orchestra piece, and it really needs to be out in front. The second movement is more concerto like, for part of it anyway.

If anyone is interested in taking a look at it, I'd be happy to send a pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment