Saturday, October 19, 2013

More Chaos

As you know, I haven't had time to work on Chaos for a few months due to teaching commitments, other projects, and engraving jobs. I'm still thinking about it though, and one of the current gaps coalesced while I was in the shower this morning.

I used the sets for Chaos for an improvisation with the CME on Thursday. I was hoping that the gap between the first main section (and subsequent piano cadenza) would have some improvisatory material. At one point I described it as a collective improvisation, which I was afraid to write, but now I have pared it down to a solo violin and the solo piano, with possibly one other solo instrument above a string texture that will have loops of various lengths, so it doesn't noticeably repeat. There will also be some wind and brass inserts, much like I have used in Night Visions. I just need to find time to write it down and finish the last few bars of the written piano cadenza that leads into it.

Other than that, I have two partly composed sections near the end of the last movement that need to be completed and then the first draft will be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment