Sunday, March 10, 2013

Think February 2014

I'm not entirely sure which piece, but I think I have a big(-gish) performance coming up in February. It is likely to be one of three orchestral pieces, two of which would be a first performance, the other would be a US premiere. The orchestra is set, but it depends on the artists (two are concertos). The least likely would be my third symphony, but I would reveal any more than that.

The more current news is that I'm on spring break and had planned to finish Chaos, but I've just received a pile of typesetting work, which is more urgent (partly because it pays). I hope to get a jump on the typesetting so I can spend at least a couple of hours on the concerto each day this week. I have done a little since my last post, but I think I might have to rewrite it. I forgot that the tempo was slow, so  when I played it back, it sounded like I was going half speed. I'll have to remedy that. I would at least like to fill some partial gaps near the end, and probably fill out the ending.

Another thing I am considering is adding an improvisation/cadenza between what is essentially the second and third movements. It's not really in three movements, but there are three distinct sections. The soliloquy may comprise a fourth sections, but I'm hoping that it is perceived as part of the middle section.

Don't forget WCNY on April 14. I'll post details what they are playing when closer to the date.

No comments:

Post a Comment