Saturday, December 8, 2012

More Chaos Theory

I've been fumbling around with Chaos for almost 15 years now. It started as a wind ensemble piece and became a piano concerto. I've more or less decided to go back and finish the wind ensemble version.

Is it closer to being finished than the concerto version? Yes. The concerto is still waiting for an insert after the opening section. The wind ensemble version goes straight into the middle section, so all I really need to do is write the ending ... well, that is, except that I think that the opening section could use a little re-working.

Anyway, my rationale. Performance. I'm more likely to find a performance for a wind ensemble piece than an orchestral concerto. It's that simple. I have too many pieces that I wrote on spec that have never been performed, the biggest offender being my third symphony. The other is my 3 Pieces for Chamber Orchestra. Of course, the first two movements appear in different forms and have received multiple performances. The last, however, Paradisio has never even had a sniff of a performance ... except that it was on the SPNM shortlist way back in the 90's. Nobody ever showed interest, even with the carrot of an SPNM subsidy. It also has the problem of still being in manuscript form, as I wrote it before a viable music notation program was available. Should I typeset it? Probably not. I should be writing new things for living, breathing people who want to play something of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment