Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Moving along

I spent some time yesterday with my new material, transposing and classifying all the sets (5/7), and little else. Today, however, was more productive. I'm fleshing out a progression, figuring out what portions of the sets work - well, they mostly do, but more how they relate to each other. If discovered that if I put the C/Eb on the bottom it sounds more like a tonic chord, than if D/F# are on the bottom. Basically, it doesn't really matter where the B appears.

Yes, that is D Eb F# B C for the 5-note set (Set I). Set V is all the other notes.

I'm not sure how that affects my D tonal center yet. At the moment, I'm fine with it. I just need to be aware of my cadences. There will still be a D in the chord, but it won't be on the bottom.

Thus far, I'm jotting down several fragments, with no real concern about how they will fit together. I have a 7 chord progression for the strings, a longish melody for the Tenor Sax (without rhythm at the moment), with chords implied (and a progression), as well as another sustained quartet passage which the sax joins about 15-20 seconds into it.

That's all with the new material. I have a few fragments and a progression with the old material. Looking at the sets, I might be able to use them together. The old Set I (D G B C Db) has many intervals in common with the new Set I - 3 notes the same and the others are only a semitone different (or in the opposite direction). It's the old Set V that is too full of semitones.

I'll work some more on it tomorrow. I need to let it steep a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment