Sunday, February 12, 2017

What next?

Well, Labyrinth and Dystopian Sunrise (with Clouds) have been premiered, although I haven't yet heard the latter. The arrangement of Inner Sanctum premieres on Friday.

What next? I have some long term projects on the back burner:

1. Temps - an extended work for Messiaen quartet. It will include some movements from Labyrinth and Time Knot, as well as a clarinet solo movement that was originally planned for Labyrinth, but was left out, since I planned to feature Violin and Cello (because I planned on turning it into a double concerto).

2. Labyrinth Concerto - this is the double concerto for sinfonietta/chamber orchestra based on Labyrinth. I have already created a straight transcription, but I'm trying to decide if I should expand it at all. It's very difficult to re-envision an already finished work, so I'm not sure if I want to go there. I might add some improvised cadenzas. I'm consulting with possible soloists, but it may be complete as it stands.

3. A Mighty Fortress - I have a re-harmonization of JS Bach's chorale ready, however, after the original modulates, my harmonic system doesn't work so well. I need to find a way to deal with modulation - or do I? Re-harmonizing someone else's 4-part harmony into my 6-part harmony seems like an academic exercise. Is it one worth doing? The piece is for wind ensemble, if I do it.

4. Song Cycle - I have someone who wants me to write a song cycle, possibly based on my own poetry. Dare I? I've tried to do it before, and never finished any of the songs I started.

... I take that back. I already have two songs out there based on original poetry - very early original poetry that is very embarrassing. One of the songs is decent, though.

5. Orchestra piece. I have some sketches for an orchestra piece, but I left the orchestra for which I was writing it, and shelved it. I want to write more for orchestra, but I don't want to spend that much time on it, if I don't have a destination for it, especially since Symphony No 3 and Chaos, still haven't been performed, not to mention the chamber orchestra versions of my Dante tryptich (3 Pieces for Chamber Orchestra). This is where my compositional heart is, but why should I spend my time on something that may never get performed?

6. There are also fragments of a piano concerto - or two? I have the beginning of one with chamber orchestra, and fragments of one with full orchestra. I wanted to start a concerto from scratch when I was working on my commission, only to struggle for inspiration. Chaos was more piano concerto than wind ensemble piece, so I re-scored it for orchestra and finished it as a concerto, leaving the other concerto materials on the cutting room floor.

7. Piano piece(s) - It's probably time for me to write one. I have a couple of former students as well as a few other friends who might be willing to play it.

8. String Quartet (No. 4) - I was really thinking string quartet in the 3rd and 5th movements of Labyrinth. I could easily arrange them for quartet, and provide a couple of more movements.

The only problem with all this is that there are no commissions there - or even promises of performances (except maybe the songs). Having just completed an extended period of commissions, I find myself hitting a wall. Until I become better known at UC, I won't have anyone here asking me for music.

So is there anyone out there who wants a piece, either one of the above or something else? All offers considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment