Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The future

Now that I'm at the end of term, I need to evaluate what I need to do during the month I have before rejoining the fray. There are two things that must happen before school begins in January:

1) I must create a lesson plan for my new theory class and composition seminar.
2) I must re-score the winds for Nørgård's Remembering Child for our March CME performance.

There are two things that I would also like to do:

1) Finish the piano concerto.
2) Finish setting my third symphony. It will take too long for this break, if I do the other things, but I should get started on it. I'm up to p. 69, and I probably have 50 to go. I'll need to use WinScore to do it, or start over in Sibelius, which I'd rather not do.

I also need to think of some new pieces. I have a bunch that are started, and a couple students clamoring for a song cycle. That's a possibility, but do they really know what they are getting in for? What I really need is someone to commission me, and give me a deadline. Money talks and deadlines get the job done.

Other considerations: I've been asked to conduct the performance of Paradisio in January, so I'll need to program in time to prepare the score.

Lot's to do, but what I really need to do is rest after a tough term.

No comments:

Post a Comment